Friday, September 30, 2011 by Shelley Miles
book lists, October activities, October holidays
OCTOBER 27– National tell a story day (UK and Scotland), Edith Bagnold birthday
Edith Bagnold is the author of National Velvet (Book and Charm), the story of Velvet Brown, a girl who's determined to enter her horse, Pie, in the Grand National Steeplechase. Starring a 12 year old Elizabeth Taylor and Mickey Rooney National Velvet is perfect for an evening of popcorn and family togetherness.
Everyone loves to hear a good story. And kids especially love stories about themselves. Share some stories about family members around the dinner table. Sharing stories will give your children a good foundation in writing and public speaking - while sharing family history. Here are some tips to make your stories memorable- whether you are sharing family anecdotes, or giving a presentation at work.
- Start with a catchy beginning - grab their attention
- Pick a subject your audience will be interested in.
- Plan a beginning, middle and end. Try introducing the characters up front, then sharing the heart of the story (perhaps a problem to be solved) and wrap it up with a strong finish.
- Use details like color, tastes, smells, textures, or temperature to paint a vivid picture. to create a vivid picture.
- Use humor. Use your whole body to tell the story
- Don't be afraid of pauses - they can build suspense.
- Keepyour story short- no one wants too much of a good thing!
All Blog Entrys
• book list
• Windmill Day
• gym programs
• Santa Claus Trains
• Cinco De Mayo
• September Holidays
• Mothers Day
• Justin Roberts
• September Activities
• Amelia Earhart
• Hollerin Contest
• November holidays
• Daily Activity Calendar
• October activities